Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy).
You can have Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy)
- Prepare 28 oz. of can of tomato purée (crushed tomatoes would also work).
- It’s 6 oz. of can of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 TBS. of bacon grease and/or extra virgin olive oil (I save up bacon grease drippings so I always have a reserve in a jar in the refrigerator).
- You need 1/2 of sweet onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 8 oz. of wine (red or white).
- Prepare 8 oz. of water.
- You need 4 of basil leaves, chopped.
- You need 2 of bay leaves, whole.
- It’s 1 TBS. of dried oregano.
- Prepare 2 tsp. of Sugar.
- Prepare to taste of Garlic salt.
- Prepare to taste of Black pepper.
- Prepare 1 of heel of Parmesan cheese, optional.
Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy) step by step
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onions in the bacon grease (preferable) or the olive oil, or a combination of both, until the onions are soft and begin to turn brown..
- Add the remaining ingredients together into the pot and simmer, covered, all day long (but for at least a couple hours). For added flavor and an amazing taste, add meatballs (see my recipe), sausage, pork ribs and/or a heel of cheese (yes, just toss the entire heel into the pot). The more, the merrier!.
- When ready to serve, remove and discard the bay leaves and the heel of cheese..
- Serve over your favorite pasta..
- Tip: Make a double batch and freeze the extra for next week!.
- Buon appetito! ??.