China grass/agar agar. Agar (/ˈeɪɡɑːr/ or /ˈɑːɡər/), or agar-agar, is a jelly-like substance, obtained from red algae. Agar is a mixture of two components: the linear polysaccharide agarose. This is the grass form of agar-agar.
Derived from red seaweed, this natural thickener is mainly used as a gelling agent in desserts, puddings, pie fillings, and aspics. China grass or Agar Agar or Kanten is a sea weed and completely vegetarian. It gives a smooth, glossy finish and many chefs prefer to use it over gelatin. You can cook China grass/agar agar using 5 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of China grass/agar agar
- You need 1/2 litre of Milk.
- It’s 50 grams of China grass.
- You need 2 spoons of Rose syrup.
- Prepare 2 spoons of Nannari sharbath.
- Prepare few drops of vanilla essence.
China grass, if used properly sets easily at room temperature. The method of using Agar Agar or Gelatin. Agar (also named agar-agar flake and jelly powder) is natural hydrophilic colloid extracted from various seaweed such as gracilaria and gelidium and its final product feature present as off-white dry powder form or strip form. Agar cannot dissolve cold water, but only be able to dissolve in boiled water.
China grass/agar agar instructions
- Wash soak China grass in water till the milk boil.
- Once the.milk started boiling add squeezed China grass from water, to the milk.
- Keep stirring till the China grass dissolve once dissolved switch it off.
- Take a bowl add rose syrup and add half of the milk boiled milk and make it cool quickly by keeping it under fan and keep it inside fridge and let it set..
- After setting cut it into pieces add to a bowl.
- Now add vanilla essence or nannari sharbath to the balance boiled milk stir well and pour into the bowl with rose agar agar pieces and keep it in fridge to get set.
- After an hour cut into pieces and serve chill.
Agar-agar or just agar in culinary circles is a vegetarian gelatin substitute produced from seaweed. The jelly-like substance, which comes from red algae, is made up of particles found Also known as China grass and Japanese kanten, the white and semi-translucent vegetable gelatin contains a few calories. Break agar agar in a sauce pan, add in water and mix well using your hands. Once it reaches a boil, take it off the heat and set aside. Now take china grass and place it on heat.