Hot and sour soup. Hot and sour soup is a variety of soups from several Asian culinary traditions. In all cases, the soup contains ingredients to make it both spicy and sour. Soup preparation may use chicken or pork broth, or may be meat-free.
Hot and sour soup can be found on any takeout menu or Chinese buffet line in the US. It ranges in quality and flavor from awesomely delicious to lukewarm, tasteless, and gloopy. There was a time when I never thought to make it myself and resigned myself to the luck of the draw when it came to ordering it. You can cook Hot and sour soup using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hot and sour soup
- Prepare 1/2 cup of finely chopped cabbage.
- You need 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrot.
- You need 1/2 cup of finely chopped capsicum.
- It’s 2 tbsp of corn flour.
- You need 1 tsp of finely chopped ginger.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic.
- It’s 2 of chopped green chilli.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of dark soya sauce.
- You need 2 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of vinegar Salt as a taste.
- You need 1 tbsp of oil 2 cups water or as required.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fried noodles for toppings.
- You need of for corn starch:.
- Prepare 4 tsp of corn starch.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
Hot and sour soup is such a popular dish takeout dish, along with egg drop soup and wonton soup. It's one of those things that we almost always order when eating in Chinese restaurant-style hot and sour soup made easy! The hearty, spicy, sour broth is loaded with mushrooms, silky eggs, and tofu. The traditional hot and sour soup recipe call for Chinese dry shiitake mushroom.
Hot and sour soup step by step
- Heat a pan, add oil along with chopped ginger, chilli and garlic and saute till they become light pink..
- Now add chopped cabbage, capsicum and carrot or any veggies of your choice. saute for a minute..
- Now add tomato sauce, soya sauce and salt, cooked a minute..
- After that add 2 cups of water and give a good stir. add more water if required..
- Boil for 5 minutes or till the veggies get cooked well. do not over cook the veggies..
- Now add and stir the corn starch paste. Now serve the soup topped with some fried noodles and spring onions..
Soak the mushrooms in water until it is fully hydrated and become very soft and easy to cut. The time required varies from an hour to two or three hours, as it depends on the thickness of the mushrooms. Hot and sour soup (Suan La Tang) is a common dish popular in China especially in cold winter. It is firstly invented for poor people who need to warm their body up. So lots of white pepper used.