Chinese-Style Braised Beef One-Pot.
You can have Chinese-Style Braised Beef One-Pot using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chinese-Style Braised Beef One-Pot
- You need 4-5 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 6 of garlic cloves, thinly sliced.
- You need 1 of good thumb size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated.
- It’s 4-6 of spring onions, sliced.
- You need 1 of red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1 kg of braising beef, cut into large chunks.
- You need 2 tbsp of plain flour, seasoned with salt.
- You need 1 tsp of Chinese 5 spice powder.
- It’s 2 of star anais.
- It’s 2 tsp of muscovado sugar (preferred) or use alternative.
- You need 4 tbsp of dry Sherry.
- You need 3 tbsp of dark soy sauce, plus extra for seasoning.
- Prepare 500 ml of beef stock.
- It’s of Water as needed, if casserole starts to dry out.
- It’s 6 of baby aubergines, sliced in half.
Chinese-Style Braised Beef One-Pot instructions
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in a large and shallow casserole. Fry the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli for 3 mins until soft and fragrant. Transfer onto a plate..
- Next toss the beef in the flour, add 1-2 tbsp of oil into the pan, then brown the meat in batches, add another 1 tbsp or 2 if needed..
- Add the five-spice and star anise to the pan, tip in the fried mix previously reserved, then fry for 1 min until the spices are fragrant..
- Add in the sugar, then the beef and stir until all combined together. Keep the heat on high, then add in the sherry, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom..
- Heat oven to 150C..
- Add the soy and stock and bring to a simmer, then tightly cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs..
- Add in the aubergine and stir the meat half way through. The meat should be very soft. (Note: Add a splash of water if the stew becomes too dry at any point).
- Season with more soy sauce..
- Serve over steamed rice and steamed bok choi or Chinese leaf..