You can cook Hoppin Johns using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Hoppin Johns
- You need 1 lb of black eyed peas, dry.
- You need 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 of medium yellow onion, chopped.
- Prepare 3 of celery stalks, chopped.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp of chili powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves.
- Prepare 8 cups of low-sodium chicken broth.
- It’s 1 of large smoked ham hock.
- It’s to taste of kosher salt and black pepper,.
- Prepare 3 cups of white rice, steamed.
- You need of green onion, chopped, for garnish.
Hoppin Johns instructions
- Pour the black eyed peas onto a rimmed baking sheet and shake to distribute them into a single layer. Search through and discard any bad peas or stones. Transfer to a strainer, rinse with cool water and set aside..
- Place a large soup pot over medium heat and warm the olive oil until shimmering. Then add the onion and celery and cook for about 3 minutes until the onions and celery soften a bit..
- Next,add garlic and stir in the bay leaves, chili powder and thyme leaves and allow the spices to toast for about 1 minute..
- Pour in the chicken broth then add the ham hock and give it a stir. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Allow stock to simmer for 30 minutes..
- After simmering, stir in the black eyed peas and return to a boil, then reduce heat again to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 1–1 ½ hours or until the black eyed peas are creamy and tender. Once the peas are tender, remove the ham hock from the pot and separate the meat from the bone. Cut away the fat and gristle, chop the meat and add back to the pot..
- Test the soup and season to taste with salt and fresh cracked pepper..
- Serve over steamed white rice and garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy!.