Boston Cream Pie. A Boston cream pie is an American dessert consisting of a yellow butter cake filled with custard or cream and topped with chocolate glaze. This Boston Cream Pie is a classic cake – not a pie at all! It's a lovely vanilla cake layered with fresh pastry cream and chocolate ganache – all from scratch!
Such a crowd-pleaser; you can't go wrong when you serve this for. Boston cream pie- not a pie, not cream, and probably not from Boston. Boston cream pie consists of two layers of either yellow butter cake or sponge cake sandwiched with vanilla pastry. You can have Boston Cream Pie using 22 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Boston Cream Pie
- You need of Custard Filling.
- It’s 2 of Egg Yolks only.
- You need 1.5 Cups of Almond Milk.
- Prepare 1/3 Cups of Sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Cornstarch.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Creme Bouquet (or clear vanilla if your a casual).
- It’s of Cake!.
- You need 1.5 Cups of Cake Flour (Use all purpose and replace 2.5 tbps with cornstarch if you dont have any like I never do…).
- Prepare 1 Cup of Sugar.
- Prepare 1.5 tsp of Baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1/3 Cup of Butter.
- Prepare 3/4 Cup of Almond Milk.
- You need 1 of Egg.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Creme Bouquet (or some vanilla).
- It’s of Chocolate Topping.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 3 oz of Unsweetened dark chocolate 70% + (consider.
- You need 1 cup of Powdered Sugar.
- You need 1.5 tsp of Crem Bouquet (yeah.. Vanilla).
- Prepare tbsp of Hot Water – ~4.
Boston cream "pie" is actually a sponge cake—thus named because it turns out as light and fluffy This scratch Boston Cream Pie consists of two layers of sponge cake held together with a custard. Boston Cream Pie History: Cooks in New England and Pennsylvania Dutch regions were known for their cakes and pies and the dividing line between them was very thin. A Boston Cream Pie is a very simple dessert. It consists of two yellow cake layers, a layer of pastry cream or custard, topped with a chocolate glaze or ganache.
Boston Cream Pie instructions
- Make the Custard. I usually make the cake and the custard in one evening and the next day make the chocolate and assemble as this needs a few hours to set….
- Whisk the 2 yolks in a bowl and add the Almond milk..
- Mix Sugar, Cornstarch, Salt well together in a small sauce pan until blended.
- Turn on the heat to med/high and add the egg milk mixture..
- Stir constantly until it starts boiling at the edges and it will start thickening. Boil like this for 60 seconds only! Then turn off the heat and mix in the Creme Bouquet flavoring..
- Pour into a glass bowl and cover with plastic and a lid, put it in the fridge for at least a few hours. Overnight is great..
- Now make the cake! Pre-Heat oven to 350deg. Prepare a 9in cake pan however you do. I crisco the pan and dust with flour and it never sticks..
- Sift all the dry cake ingredients into a mixer bowl. Add all the wet ingredients. Mix slowly for a few turns and get it all homogenized..
- Mix on high for 3 minutes and make sure to scrape it down a few times to ensure its even and airy..
- Pour into cake pan evenly and bake for about 30min until test comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20min..
- Baste cake with simple sugar if you like to. Wrap it in plastic and store in fridge overnight with the custard..
- Assembly time! Get the cake out and torte it. Layer the bottom with the custard and set the top on it. It will be jiggly. Have a dance party and shake with it. Then get to the chocolate topping. (Maple maybe if you like?).
- Heat 4 tbsp or so of water for 30s or so to make it hot. Set it aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in small sauce pan..
- When silky smooth, remove from heat and add vanilla and add in the powdered sugar about a third at a time and keep stirring until its sort of a chunky mess..
- When all combined add a tbsp of hot water at a time until it is all smoothed back out and looks (smells) like donut topping..
- Pour over the jiggly cake evenly and let it drip down the sides. Refrigerate to set it..
- More dance party (to burn calories) now put the cake inside of you..
Ryan had been asking for a Boston. Layers of soft cake filled with homemade custard and topped with chocolate ganache. Boston Cream Pie is a classic dessert! Two layers of yellow cake are filled with pastry cream and topped off with a chocolate glaze. It is sure to be a favorite!