Black Eyed Peas with Cabbage. Some say the idea of eating black-eyed peas on New Year's started at the time of the Civil War. Peas were considered animal food and not fit for Union soldiers. Most people will tell you they eat cabbage or collard greens to ensure prosperity.
Black-eyed pea cabbage soup is wonderful for New Year's day or anytime you just want a good soup. My family loves soup and I usually make a pot of soup every week. Black-eyed peas/ chitterlings/yams/cabbage ( our new years feast). You can cook Black Eyed Peas with Cabbage using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Black Eyed Peas with Cabbage
- You need 1 lb of dried black eyed peas.
- It’s 2 cups of frozen or fresh bell peppers and onion.
- You need 16 oz of Chicken stock.
- You need of Water.
- You need of Cubbed ham.
- Prepare Tbsp of salt.
- Prepare Tbsp of pepper.
- You need Tsp of ground thyme.
- It’s Tsp of salt-free Tony Chachere’s.
- You need of Cabbage.
- Prepare 1 of red or green cabbage (quartered).
- Prepare Tbsp of peppercorns.
- You need of Water.
IM Preparing my dishes for our new year day dinner. I'M cooking some pork chitterlings, black eyed peas, candied sweet potatoes and fried. Open can of Rotel, add to pot. Remove cabbage core and chop up into bite size pieces.
Black Eyed Peas with Cabbage instructions
- Boil black eyed peas in about twice as much water for 10 minutes and then turn off the burner and cover for 1 hour..
- After allowing peas to rest, add 16oz of low-sodium chicken stock and about one cup of water. Also add bell peppers and onion, all seasonings and simmer for about an hour, or until peas are mostly tender..
- Once peas reach desired tenderness, add cubbed ham, about a cup and a half, and simmer on low heat until ready to serve..
- Start your rice (approx 20 minutes) and cabbage (approx 30 minutes)!!.
- For cabbage, add a cup of water to a pot with a tbsp of peppercorns, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and canbbage. Simmer on medium-high heat for approximately 30 minutes or until the entire cabbage wedge is tender..
- Serve black eyed peas over rice with a side of cabbage! ENJOY ?.
Cook on medium heat until cabbage is soft. Serve in bowls with cornbread or french bread on the side. Freshly cooked black-eyed peas, cabbage, and parsley are tossed in an easy lemon juice and olive oil dressing in this Mardi Gras salad. Combine black-eyed peas, cabbage, olive oil, green onions, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Cook the peas down with some smoked ham hocks, serve over rice with a side helping of cabbage and a fresh pone of cornbread.