You can cook Mapo Tofu using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mapo Tofu
- Prepare 500 g of soft to medium-firm tofu.
- You need 12 of dried black mushrooms.
- You need 80 g of fermented black beans.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- It’s 8 cm of ginger, chopped.
- It’s 4 of dried Sichuan type peppers, chopped.
- You need 4 of scallions, sliced diagonally.
- Prepare 4 g of Sichuan pepper, lightly crushed.
- You need 80 g of chili bean paste.
- Prepare 20 g of Chinese cooking wine.
- You need 20 g of light soy sauce.
- It’s 20 g of sesame oil.
- It’s 20 g of sugar.
- It’s 8 g of corn starch.
Mapo Tofu instructions
- Soak the black mushrooms in 0.4 l water for 20 minutes, wring out the excess water back in the bowl and chop the mushrooms. Reserve the mushroom flavoured water for the sauce..
- Chop the ginger and garlic, and crush the black beans slightly..
- Stir fry the mushrooms and black beans on high heat in some peanut oil until slightly crispy and fragrant..
- Lower the heat, add the chopped ginger, garlic, Sichuan pepper, scallion whites and chili, and stir fry until fragrant and the garlic starts to brown..
- Mix the mushroom water with the chili bean paste, wine, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar and add the sauce to the wok and let simmer for a few minutes..
- Cut the tofu in inch sized cubes and add them to the sauce, stirring carefully to avoid breaking them. Let simmer on low heat until the tofu is heated through..
- Mix the corn starch with some cold water and add to the wok, and continue to simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon..
- Adjust hotness with chili oil, "mala" (the numbing quality of the Sichuan pepper) with more Sichuan pepper, saltiness with salt and sweetness with sugar. Garnish with the scallion greens..
- Serves 3-4 on its own or 6-8 as a part of a spread..