Chicken and sausage gumbo. A classic roux is the thickening agent for this traditional Cajun-style gumbo made rich and hearty with chicken, sausage, onions, bell peppers, celery "This is a Cajun-style gumbo made with a seasoned roux, a classic from the bayous of south Louisiana. I revised the recipe after many, many trials. Smoky sausage, okra, tender chicken and vegetables makes this a delicious dish.
Serve with white rice or potato salad (or both) spooned into the gumbo. A symbol of Creole cooking, gumbo is ubiquitous in homes and restaurants across Louisiana. Andouille sausage and file powder make this chicken-and-sausage gumbo a classic and, as in any good gumbo, a deep, rich roux. You can cook Chicken and sausage gumbo using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and sausage gumbo
- You need 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed.
- You need 1 link of Cajun sausage sliced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fine chopped onion.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fine chopped green bell.
- Prepare 4 of fresh red chiles fine chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of celery fine chopped.
- It’s 3 of large garlic minced.
- Prepare leaves of Bay.
- It’s 32 oz of bold chicken stock.
- It’s 1/2 of + 1bsp oil (canola).
- You need 1/2 of + 1 tbsp flour.
- It’s of Cajun seasoning (I use Webber).
This classic chicken and sausage gumbo recipe represents everything we love about Louisiana cooking. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Savory and delicious, Gumbo Recipe filled with juicy chicken, Andouille sausage, and fresh seafood all swimming in a flavorful roux-based broth. Learn how to Gumbo and bring all the flavors of New Orleans home cooking right to your dinner table.
Chicken and sausage gumbo instructions
- Add oil to a cast iron enamel pot and sprinkle in flour and make a dark chocolate roux and put into a separate glass container.
- No need to wipe the pot so just add your sliced sausage to the pot and sear and remove.
- Now add the chicken thighs and sear both sides and remove.
- Add in all the veggies, sweat down until really soft.
- Add in the chicken, sausage, tbsp Cajun seasoning, chicken stock, 1 cup water, bay leaves and cover until the chicken is ready to be pulled, about 30 to 40 minutes (I remove them and pull them so I can get rid of any leftover fatty pieces) add the pulled chicken back to the pot.
- Whisk in your roux and simmer on low until it starts to thicken and taste for seasonings (if you need to add a little water to thin you can) add hot sauce to taste.
A gumbo hinges on its thickeners. A roux of flour and fat is the primary one, and is in almost every gumbo I've ever eaten. How dark you take the roux I often use a slew of game meats in my gumbo, but so long as you use more than one you'll be fine. Chicken, andouille sausage and shrimp are a. This Easy Chicken Gumbo recipe is like a party for your mouth!