Empanada Wrappers (Discos para Empanadas).
You can cook Empanada Wrappers (Discos para Empanadas) using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Empanada Wrappers (Discos para Empanadas)
- You need 2 of +1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 of +1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Prepare 1 stick (1/2 cup) of cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Prepare 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of ice water.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Sugar.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of cold (solid) chicken fat (or 1 extra Tablespoon butter).
Empanada Wrappers (Discos para Empanadas) step by step
- Sift flour with salt into a large bowl and blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal with some (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. If you don't have a sifter, just grab handfuls of flour and sift them through your fingers from 6 inches above the bowl OR whisk it all a few times, and your dry ingredients will be incorporated and aerated..
- Beat together egg, water, and vinegar in a small bowl with a fork. Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork until just incorporated. (Mixture will look shaggy.).
- Turn out mixture onto a lightly floured surface and gather together, then knead gently with heel of your hand once or twice, just enough to bring dough together. Form dough into a flat rectangle and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 1 hour. If you're in a hurry, 30 minutes in the back of the freezer will do. If it's a warm day, I like to keep the dough I'm not currently working in the fridge. The butter can melt quickly and make the dough challenging to work with..
- Cut dough into equal sized cubes (about 1+1/2 inches) and roll into balls. Leave 3 or 4 out to roll, and put rest in fridge..
- Roll into 4"-5" discs, depending on how big you want to make your empanadas..