You can have Enchilada Sauce using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Enchilada Sauce
- You need 4 of large dried California pepper pods.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- You need 1 of large onion.
- It’s 28 ounces of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of whole leaf dried oregano.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of extra dark cocoa powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- You need 4 cups of water plus more for thinning if necessary.
- You need As needed of brown sugar if the peppers scorched during toasting.
Enchilada Sauce step by step
- Boil the water. Remove the skin from tomato. Dice the tomato and set aside..
- Heat a skillet dry. Toast the peppers till just fragrant. Set aside add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic to the skillet to toast also..
- Remove stems and seeds from the peppers. Add the peppers to the boiling water for 20-30 minutes covered. This will rehydrate and soften your peppers..
- Add the peppers and liquids in the peppers, to a blender. Now add the oregano, onion, salt, cumin, garlic, and tomatoes, to a blender. Liquidfy the ingredients..
- In a skillet heat the oil. Pour the ingredients from the blender into the hot skillet with the oil in it. Stir in the chocolate..
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. It should be not thin, but just a bit thick, like a tomato ketchup..
- It may not be super delicious on its own. If it's too bitter add a little brown sugar at a time till the bitterness is toned down. It should taste good allowing the sauce and food you put it on compliment each other..
- Serve I hope you enjoy!!!.