Spanish Tortilla. Classic Spanish tortilla, or a Spanish potato omelette, with the emphasis on potato. Thinly sliced potatoes, fried in olive oil, layered in a pan, covered with beaten eggs, and cooked. The Spanish tortilla has nothing in common with the Mexican variety except its shape and its name.
Spanish Omelette (Spanish Tortilla) is perfect served hot or cold, and so easy to make! Crispy, fried potatoes and eggs make up this popular Spanish Omelette (Tortilla) recipe, perfect for picnics. Is there anything more Spanish than la tortilla española? You can have Spanish Tortilla using 7 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spanish Tortilla
- You need 10-12 of Eggs.
- Prepare 8-10 of Potatoes.
- It’s 2 of Large Red Bell Peppers (Paprikas).
- It’s 6 of Green Bell Peppers (small).
- You need 1 of whole garlic.
- It’s of Olive Oil.
- Prepare of Salt / Pepper.
I'm really sure not sure that there is. When made right, a Spanish omelet is the definition of traditional Spanish cuisine: simple to make, clean. For the version I'm sharing here — which you could call Spanish-ish Tortilla — I took a nod from Italy and cooked the tortilla like a fritatta (I. Tortilla española, one of Spain's most famous and beloved national dishes, is nothing more than egg, potato [Photographs and video: Vicky Wasik].
Spanish Tortilla step by step
- Peel potatoes and cut into approx. 3cm x 3cm cubes..
- Coarsely cut the paprikas,.
- Green bell peppers,.
- And garlic..
- In large & deep frying pan, coat with olive oil and on medium heat cook potatoes only for 10 min..
- Coat the frying pan again with olive oil and pour the entire potato / egg mix back in. On low to medium heat, cook for 10 – 15 min. until the tortilla starts to firm up. The very top will still be a bit liquidy, but this is ok as you'll flip it below..
- Crack and mix all eggs in a large stainless steel bowl..
- Pour the entire potato mix into the egg bowl and mix so that all potatoes get covered. The hot potatoes will start cooking the egg mix, so work quickly..
- Add bell peppers & garlic, cook for another 10 min. until potatoes become soft. Stir often so mix won't burn and continue adding olive oil as needed. Salt & pepper as needed..
- This is the hard part. Place a large flat plate on top of the frying pan and flip the pan so that the tortilla transfers to the plate. Then slide the tortilla back into the pan to cook the bottom. You only get one chance! Cook for another 5 – 10 min..
- Remove from frying pan and let sit for at least 30 min. before eating. Can be served hot, or chilled in the fridge for a few hours. Can top it with mayonnaise or tomato sauce..
- See the video at: https://cookpad.com/recipe/4945843.
Spanish Tortilla is made with surprisingly few ingredients. Just eggs, potato, onions and olive oil. Though you'll find many variations around, even in Spain, this is the classic way to make it. In Spain, it's usually called tortilla de patata or potato omelet. Bars and cafés throughout the country serve it as a tapa or appetizer, but it also is often served as a light dinner in Spanish homes.