Prawns Har gow.
You can cook Prawns Har gow using 18 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Prawns Har gow
- You need of Shrimp Filling.
- Prepare 500 grams of raw prawns.
- Prepare 50 grams of bamboo shoot (rinse thoroughly and squeeze out excess water, finely chopped).
- It’s 50 grams of pork fat (optional; mince finely into paste).
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of oyster sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of soysauce.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of granulated white sugar.
- It’s 2-3 teaspoons of sesame oil.
- It’s 1-2 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine.
- It’s 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch.
- Prepare of Dough.
- It’s of You can buy ready make har gow wrapper in some big asian grocery shop but here is ingredients for you.
- You need 50 grams of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 50 grams of tapioca starch.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- You need 160 grams of boiling water (240 mL or about 2/3 cups).
Prawns Har gow step by step
- Cut raw prawns in half vertical way and take the black bit off. Bash it and coarsely chop them..
- Coarsely chop some bamboo shoots and transfer both to a medium-sized bowl. Add finder chopped pork fat. Season with oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, sesame oil, Shaoxing cooking wine and corn starch..
- To make the dumplings, apply oil to the back side of a knife. Use the backside of that knife to flatten the dough into a circle, with one side slightly thicker than the other. The thicker side will be the base of the filling. The other side will be the delicate pleated folds..
- If you are making dough from scratch; Here is the method how to make Har gow dough. In a bowl of a stand mixer, mix together plain flour, tapioca starch and salt. Then add boiling water a little at a time and knead until the dough comes together. Add oil until you get a soft ball that pulls cleanly away from the sides of the mixing bowl..
- Roll the dough into a thin log and cut out pieces of 10-12 g each. Keep the dough covered at all times to prevent drying..
- Here is the store bought one you can use but if you use store bought one you need some water to bind the both sides dough together. Place filling off-centre on the thicker base..
- Fold the thinner side of the wrapper over and pinch it to make pleats from one end with your fingers then use your thumb and index finger, start making a pleat. As you fold each pleat, press the folded pleat tightly against the back part of wrapper using your other thumb and index finger..
- Traditionally they make 13 (for lucky number) in the Chinese restaurant and I managed to do about 10..
- Oil the base of the bamboo steamer to prevent dumplings from sticking. You can also place each dumpling on a small piece of wax paper. Steam for 6 minutes over high heat. Serve immediately with a soy or chili sauce..