Cornbread. This savory cornbread recipe, or "Southern Cornbread," will teach you how to make cornbread with bacon drippings and then bake in a hot iron skillet. The best cornbread recipes, with tips, photos, and videos to help make them. Also get sweet, jalapeno, and gluten-free cornbread recipes.
This easy cornbread recipe works equally well with yellow, white or blue cornmeal, which is produced by grinding dry raw corn grains until they reach a fine consistency. This vegan gluten-free cornbread is the perfect side dish for any chili or stew. It's slightly sweet, soft, and This vegan and gluten-free cornbread has the perfect ratio of cornmeal to flour. You can have Cornbread using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cornbread
- It’s 1 cup of cornmeal.
- You need 1 cup of flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 c of melted unsalted butter (I used plant based).
- You need 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbs of honey.
- It’s 1 of egg (room temp).
- Prepare 1 cup of buttermilk (room temperature).
Serve it as a side dish. This cornbread recipe uses the muffin mixing method (whisk together dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in the other, then fold the wet into dry) plus some smart prep shortcuts to help it come together quickly. But when it comes to northeastern cornbread, it's yeses all around. For our test kitchen's best-ever cornbread, we set out to perfect that.
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease/lightly flour a square pan (8×8 or 9×9). Add cornmeal, flour, baking soda & paking powder into a large mixing bowl. Toss ingredients..
- Mix together melted butter, brown sugar & honey. Whisk then whisk egg. Then whisk in buttermilk. Pour wet into dry ingredients & whisk. Do not over mix..
- Pour batter into pan. Let bake 20 minutes. Once done, wrap leftovers in aluminum foil..
This classic southern cornbread recipe is slightly sweet and far from dry. It crumbles nicely making it great for serving over chili and casseroles. Random comparison, but I I used my mom's cornbread recipe as a starting point. I played around with butter vs oil, regular milk vs. Cornbread pudding is both a corn pudding and spoon bread, so it's sure to please.