You can cook Paella casserole using 22 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Paella casserole
- You need 5 T of butter, softened.
- You need 1/2 C of broken thin spaghetti.
- It’s 1 1/2 C of long grain white rice.
- Prepare of Generous pinch saffron threads.
- Prepare 3-3 1/2 C of chicken stock.
- It’s of Flour, for dredging.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 4 of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- It’s of Kosher salt and pepper.
- Prepare 5 T of olive oil.
- You need 8 oz of chorizo, chopped.
- You need 3-4 of garlic cloves, chopped.
- You need 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 C of plus a splash dry sherry.
- It’s 1 of 1#, thick center-cut fillet of cod.
- It’s 1 C of frozen peas, thawed.
- It’s 2 T of fresh thyme, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of roasted red bell peppers, chopped.
- It’s of Old bay seasonning.
- It’s 1 of # large shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- It’s 1 of lemon.
- It’s 1/2 C of fresh parsley, chopped.
Paella casserole instructions
- First, roast bell peppers under broiler- on a cookie sheet, turning occasionally, until all sides are blackened. Put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let cool. Peel and seed them..
- Preheat oven to 400°. Butter a casserole dish with 2T butter. Heat 2T butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the pasta and toast until golden. Stir in rice and saffron. Add 3C stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 17 minutes. Add an extra 1/2C water if the liquid evaporates before the rice is tender. Meanwhile, season some flour with the paprika in a shallow dish, sprinkle the chicken with S&P, dredge in the flour and shake off excess..
- Heat 3T oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until brown and crisp on both sides, 12-15 min. Transfer chicken to paper towel lined plate to rest. Add 1T oil to the skillet, add the chorizo and cook until fat renders, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze with a splash of sherry, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom with wooden spoon..
- Stir in peas, thyme and roasted peppers and immediately remove from heat. Slice the chicken and combine with rice mixture and chorizo–pepper mixture. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Bake until heated through and the bottom is crisp, 30-40 min. Add about 1/2C stock if the top dries out too much..
- Meanwhile, cover the fish with about 1/2C salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Season some flour with old bay in a small dish. Lightly dredge the fish in flour and shake off excess. Heat the remaining 1T oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook for 5-6 minutes, turning once. Transfer fish to a plate. Add shrimp to skillet and cook 4-5 min. Add lemon juice and 1/2C sherry, then swirl in 1T butter until melted. Add parsley..
- Flake the fish into pieces. Top the casserole with the fish, shrimp and sherry sauce. Divide among the plates and enjoy..
- This casserole can be covered and refrigerated before baking for a make-ahead meal. Quick salting cod with salt gives the fish a firmer texture and more pronounced flavor. (technique of NYC chef).